Selasa, 5 April 2011

The Malaysian Insider :: World

The Malaysian Insider :: World


Libyan rebels condemn Nato over Gaddafi advance

Posted: 05 Apr 2011 04:42 PM PDT

Rebels praying for their dead in Libya. — Reuters pic

BENGHAZI, Libya, April 6 — The head of Libya's rebel army has condemned Nato for its slow chain of command in ordering air strikes to protect civilians, saying the alliance was "letting the people of Misrata die every day."

The besieged city of Misrata, the only big population centre in western Libya where a revolt against Gaddafi has not been crushed and which faces army tanks and snipers, is now the priority for Nato air strikes, alliance officials said earlier.

"Nato blesses us every now and then with a bombardment here and there, and is letting the people of Misrata die every day," Abdel Fattah Younes, head of the rebel forces said in the eastern stronghold city of Benghazi. "Nato has disappointed us."

In reaction, Nato said it was carrying out its mandate.

Nato took over from a coalition led by the United States, Britain and France on March 31, putting the alliance in charge of air strikes targeting Gaddafi's military infrastructure as well as policing a no-fly zone and an arms embargo.

Nato had been moving very slowly, allowing Gaddafi forces to advance, Younes said, adding rebels were considering referring the issues with Nato to the UN Security Council which authorised its mission. "Nato has become our problem," he said.

A rebel spokesman said Misrata was hit again yesterday.

"Misrata was shelled with tank fire, artillery and mortars," the rebel, called Abdelsalam, told Reuters, adding: "Unfortunately Nato operations have not been effective in Misrata. Civilians are dying every day."

Stalemate on the frontline of fighting in eastern Libya, defections from Gaddafi's circle and the plight of civilians caught in fighting or facing food and fuel shortages has prompted a flurry of diplomacy to find a solution to the civil war in this oil-producing North African desert state.

Protests against the government that began on February 15 swiftly descended into civil war after Gaddafi forces opened fire on demonstrators. He then crushed uprisings in Libya's west, leaving the east and Misrata in rebel hands.

SECURITY COUNCIL

Nato-led air power is holding the balance in Libya, preventing Gaddafi forces from overrunning the rebels but unable for now to hand them outright victory.

"Either Nato does its work properly or I will ask the (rebel) national council to raise the matter with the Security Council," Younes, a former interior minister in Gaddafi's administration who defected, told reporters.

"The reaction of Nato is very slow. One official calls another and then from the official to the head of Nato and from the head of Nato to the field commander. This takes eight hours," Younes said, adding:

"Misrata is being subjected to a full extermination."

Asked about Younes's remarks, Nato spokesman Oana Lungescu said: "The facts speak for themselves. The pace of operations since Nato took over has not abated. We have conducted 851 sorties in the past six days ... we are fulfilling our mandate."

Another Nato official said: "The rebels may not see us. We may be 100 or 150km away. We are some distance from where the fighting is going on so the rebels are not aware."

Earlier in the day, Nato had given details of the campaign.

"The assessment is that we have taken out 30 per cent of the military capacity of Gaddafi," Brigadier General Mark van Uhm, a senior Nato staff officer, said in Brussels.

Over the last day, air strikes around Misrata hit Gaddafi's tanks, air defence systems and other armoured vehicles. Near Brega in the east, where intense fighting raged for a sixth day yesterday, Nato aircraft struck a rocket launcher.

HUMAN SHIELDS

Answering earlier criticism by insurgents that air power was less effective with the alliance in control, Nato officials said the presence in Libyan skies was undiminished.

Van Uhm said Gaddafi was using civilians as human shields and hiding his armour in populated areas, curbing Nato's ability to hit targets. "The operational tempo remains, but we have seen a change of tactics (from Gaddafi)," he said. "When human beings are used as shields we don't engage."

Addressing Nato, Younes said: "They say they don't want to bomb in order not to kill civilians. The area where Gaddafi troops are does not include civilians."

Abdelsalam in Misrata agreed. "Nato says Gaddafi's forces are hiding among civilians. But we tell them that there are no civilians left in the areas where the Gaddafi forces are positioned. We urge them to destroy civilian property to take out the snipers and armed gangs."

After a series of rapid rebel advances followed by headlong retreats, the insurgents held their ground for six days in Brega, putting their best trained forces in to battle for the oil town and keeping the disorganised volunteers away.

A sustained government bombardment of rockets and mortar bombs, however, pushed the insurgent pick-up truck cavalcade back toward the rebel stronghold of Benghazi, their biggest retreat in several days of inconclusive battles.

"Since the day Nato took over the air strikes, we have been falling back," said Ziad el Khafiefy, 20, a rebel fighter, echoing Younes's comments.

"Gaddafi's troops are hitting us with Grad missiles," said Mabrouk el Majbary, 35. "Something is wrong ... When the US gave leadership to Nato, the bombings stopped."

GADDAFI FACES ICC

As the row erupted over the military campaign, the International Criminal Court said today it had evidence Gaddafi's government had developed plans to crush protests by killing civilians even before the uprising in Libya broke out.

"We have evidence that after the Tunisia and Egypt conflicts in January, people in the regime were planning how to control demonstrations inside Libya," court prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo told Reuters in The Hague.

"The planning at the beginning was to use tear gas and (if that failed to work) ..., shooting," said Moreno-Ocampo who is investigating Gaddafi, his sons and close aides and who will be requesting arrest warrants in the coming weeks.

The rebels are set for a boost with the arrival of a tanker in one of their ports which can carry one million barrels of crude, worth more than US$100 million (RM302.28 million), which would be their first shipment since the fighting broke out.

In the capital Tripoli, angered by fuel shortages and long queues for basic goods caused by sanctions and air strikes, some residents began openly predicting Gaddafi's imminent downfall.

Diplomatic efforts to end the conflict have failed to make progress with the government side offering concessions, but insisting Gaddafi stay in power, and rebels adamant that Libya's leader for the past 41 years leave.

Libya has changed tack in the past days, stressing readiness for political reform as well as peace talks with rebels.

"All armed militias, if they want a peaceful end to this crisis, they have to give up their arms, and then they are most welcome to take part in the political process," Libyan Deputy Foreign Minister Khaled Kaim told reporters in Tripoli.

Libyan envoy Abdelati Obeidi ended a shuttle to Greece, Turkey and Malta to set out the government position. Foreign Minister Moussa Koussa, once a close ally of Gaddafi, has defected to Britain. The government said yesterday that Obeidi had been appointed as foreign minister.

Turkey is expecting an envoy to visit from the opposition in the coming days and is listening to both sides.

"Both sides have a rigid stance," a Turkish Foreign Ministry official said after Obeidi's visit. "One side, the opposition, is insisting that Gaddafi should go. The other side is saying Gaddafi should stay. So there is no breakthrough yet." — Reuters 

Full Feed Generated by Get Full RSS, sponsored by USA Best Price.

Gbagbo negotiating exit from Ivory Coast

Posted: 05 Apr 2011 04:28 PM PDT

French soldiers in Ivory Coast operations. — Reuters pic

ABIDJAN, April 6 — Ivory Coast's Laurent Gbagbo was negotiating the terms of his departure on Tuesday following a fierce assault by forces loyal to his rival and backed by UN and French helicopter air strikes.

But Gbagbo, who has refused to cede power after a UN certified election showed he lost to rival Alassane Ouattara, told French TV channel LCI that his army had called for a ceasefire, denying reports he was ready to surrender.

He reiterated that he considered himself the winner of last November's elections, saying it was not his intention to cling to power to the bitter end.

"I'm not a kamikaze. I love life. My voice is not the voice of a martyr, no, no, no, I'm not looking for death. It's not my aim to die," Gbagbo said.

A United Nations internal document seen by Reuters said Gbagbo had surrendered. A UN official, under condition of anonymity, said later that Gbagbo had not yet done so but had suggested he wanted to, and had requested UN protection.

Gbagbo government spokesman Ahoua Don Mello, who was taking part in the negotiations, told Reuters by phone from Abidjan that the parties were still in talks.

"Some points are still being discussed. Nothing has been signed, Gbagbo has not signed anything," Don Mello said.

The UN document said fighting in Abidjan and elsewhere in the country had stopped since midday local time, and that Ivory Coast's generals had asked the UN peacekeeper force to protect pro-Gbagbo soldiers and take possession of all their weapons.

France said it expected a swift exit by Gbagbo, who had clung to power since refusing to concede he lost last November's presidential election to Alassane Ouattara, plunging the world's top cocoa-growing nation into renewed civil war.

"We are on the brink of convincing him to leave power," French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe told parliament in Paris.

Don Mello said the Gbagbo was negotiating the terms of his departure based on the recognition of Ouattara as president. The spokesman said the negotiations covered security guarantees for Gbagbo and his relatives.

Gbagbo was said to be in Abidjan, with some media reports saying he was in a bunker below his residence.

"It looks like Gbagbo is trying to negotiate his way out. What he can offer is another matter ... his negotiating position is much weaker than a couple of weeks ago," said Hannah Koep, Ivory Coast analyst at London-based consultancy Control Risks.

The conflict drove cocoa prices lower yesterday as dealers bet on a swift end to Gbagbo's rule and a resumption of exports. The country's defaulted US$2.3 billion (RM6.95 billion) Eurobond rose as the assault raised expectations for repayment.

ARMED MILITIA

Gbagbo's forces called for a ceasefire after being comprehensively outgunned in the end, and French Defence Minister Gerard Longuet said the West African country's crisis could soon be over.

However a Western diplomat said sporadic gunfire could still be heard in the well-to-do Abidjan suburb of Cocody.

"I spent quite a lot of the day in the cellar again because of fighting at the bottom of the street," the diplomat said.

"It is clear the situation is not under control. There are lots of pro-Gbagbo militia running around with guns," he added.

US President Barack Obama called on Gbagbo to stand down immediately and order his fighters to lay down their arms.

Over the past week, forces loyal to Ouattara had launched a major assault on Gbagbo's last strongholds in Abidjan, driving home their campaign to oust him.

A Reuters eyewitness reported yesterday that calm had returned to the district surrounding the presidential palace after days of fierce machinegun and heavy weapons fire.

The UN peacekeeping force in Ivory Coast, supported by the French military, had targeted Gbagbo's heavy weapons capabilities on Monday with attack helicopters after civilians were killed in shelling.

Attacks centred on military bases in the city, but also on rocket launchers "very close" to Gbagbo's Cocody district residence, UN peacekeeping chief Alain Le Roy said on Monday.

The United Nations mission in the country (UNOCI) said Gbagbo's army chief General Philippe Mangou, and two other generals had requested their men surrender their arms to UNOCI forces and seek protection.

A spokesman for Ouattara's defence ministry told Reuters television there will be no witch hunts and invited pro-Gbagbo soldiers, mercenaries and militia to lay down their arms.

"There will be no witch-hunt," he said. "The republican forces are organising themselves at present to assure the security of all neighbourhoods that are prey to looting and abuses."

BULLET-RIDDLED BODIES

In the north of Abidjan, bullet-riddled bodies lay by the side of the main motorway near the largely pro-Gbagbo neighbourhood of Yopougon, evidence of recent fighting between Ouattara and Gbagbo forces, a Reuters witness said.

An armoured personnel carrier straddled the roadway, still in flames, and residents who had emerged from their houses to find water said they had heard machinegun and heavy weapons rounds through the night.

The United Nations human rights office in Geneva expressed concern yesterday over the killings of dozens of civilians in Abidjan, amid reports of heavy weapons used in populated areas.

More than 1,500 people are reported to have died in the standoff that has rekindled the country's 2002-03 civil war, though the real toll is likely to be much higher.—  Reuters 

Full Feed Generated by Get Full RSS, sponsored by USA Best Price.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Komen