Sabtu, 14 Mei 2011

The Malaysian Insider :: World

The Malaysian Insider :: World


Two Egyptian protesters shot, blast near Sinai tomb

Posted: 14 May 2011 06:44 PM PDT

Protesters set fire to vehicles and hurl rocks at Christian demonstrators in front of the state television building in Cairo on May 15, 2011. A mob of about 100 people attacked a group of Christian protesters in front of the state television building, torching cars and injuring them with rocks. — Reuters pic

CAIRO, May 15 — Two Egyptian protesters were shot in Cairo during Christian and Muslim demonstrations and an explosion occurred near the tomb of a prominent Muslim sheikh in the Sinai Peninsula, state news agency MENA said.

A car driving on a bridge over the area where the protesters were gathered, which is in front of the state television building, fired gunshots into the crowd, wounding two people late yesterday.

The agency did not say the religion of the victims, but a security source said they were Christians. There were no further details about the Sinai blast, but both acts of violence will add pressure on Egypt's military rulers to ensure stability and security following the popular revolt that forced out President Hosni Mubarak in February.

Although Muslims and Christians came together to overthrow Mubarak, interfaith tensions have since grown and 12 people have been killed and more than 200 injured in recent clashes.

Sectarian strife often flares in Egypt over conversions, family disputes and the construction of churches.

State television aired footage today of fighting between what it said were Christians and unknown people, with 10 people hurt.

Cairo's security forces have managed to arrest one of the shooters and he is currently being questioned to know who his partners are and the motives behind such violent action,— MENA said.

Last Saturday, violent confrontations between some of Egypt's majority Muslims and minority Christians prompted angry protests by Egyptians from both faiths who called on army rulers to use an —iron fist— against the instigators. Egypt's interim ruling military council which took over after Mubarak stepped down on February 11 vowed on Friday to use all means to crack down on what they described —deviant groups— threatening stability and security. — Reuters

Full Feed Generated by Get Full RSS, sponsored by USA Best Price.

Gunmen fire on protesters in Yemen, wounding 35

Posted: 14 May 2011 06:03 PM PDT

General view of anti-government protesters rallying to demand the ouster of Yemen's President Ali Abdullah Saleh in Sanaa on May 13, 2011. — Reuters pic

SANAA, May 15 — Gunmen in plain clothes opened fire repeatedly on protesters in Yemen's southern city of Taiz yesterday, wounding 35 people, a doctor said, and a Gulf envoy arrived to try to revive a plan to end the crisis.

Protesters have been demonstrating across Yemen for months in an uprising against President Ali Abdullah Saleh inspired by movements that toppled the leaders of Egypt and Tunisia. A plan negotiated by neighbouring Gulf states for Saleh to step down fell through last month when he refused to sign.

The plain-clothes men, believed to be security officers, fired from rooftops at protesters demanding an end to more than three decades of Saleh's rule in the poorest Arab country.

There were 35 people with gunshot wounds, three of whom are in an intensive care unit,— a hospital doctor told Reuters by phone.

Three people were killed and 15 wounded on Friday when troops shot at protesters in Ibb, a city south of the capital Sanaa. The killings pushed the overall death toll since protests began to at least 170.

Security forces yesterday arrested Ahmed al Musaibli, a leading broadcaster who had left state television to work for an opposition satellite channel, witnesses said.

Saleh, a wily political survivor, has clung to power despite defections from politicians, army officers and tribal leaders.

GCC official arrives

The secretary-general of the Gulf Cooperation Council, Abdullatif al-Zayani, arrived in Sanaa yesterday for a three-day visit to try to resurrect the power-transfer deal which the GCC brokered between Saleh and opposition leaders.

The secretary-general will meet Foreign Minister Abubakr al-Qirbi this evening,— a Yemeni official told Reuters.

The GCC includes neighbouring oil-rich states on the Arabian Peninsula which share a stake in stability in Yemen, where the regional wing of al Qaeda is based.

In the central town of Rada, gunmen shot dead six soldiers and wounded seven in an attack on a checkpoint on Friday, a local official said, blaming al Qaeda.

Yemen faces violence from separatists in its south, Shi'ite rebels in the north and insecurity caused by tribalism and poverty.

In remarks published in the Saudi daily Okaz yesterday, Saleh said that if he lost power he would go out on the streets as the opposition and — bring down the government again.

He said the deal under which he might leave office needed further negotiation.

There are some clauses in it that are obscure and ambiguous, requiring better clarification through direct talks with the Yemeni groups ... in order to reach an agreement on the implementation timeframe that will follow.

GCC member Qatar pulled out of the plan on Thursday, citing — stalling... continued escalation, and lack of wisdom. — Reuters

Full Feed Generated by Get Full RSS, sponsored by USA Best Price.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Komen