Sabtu, 30 April 2011

The Star Online: World Updates

The Star Online: World Updates


Congo to hold national elections on Nov. 28

Posted: 30 Apr 2011 06:25 AM PDT

KINSHASA (Reuters) - Congo will hold its second post-war presidential and legislative elections on Nov. 28, the electoral commission said on Saturday.

The polls are seen as an important step towards stability for a country recovering from a conflict that ended in 2003, leaving more than 5 million people dead.

"We are particularly sensitive to the opposition's demands to hold elections within the constitutional timeframe," Daniel Ngoy Mulunda, president of the electoral commission, told a news conference in the capital Kinshasa.

Congo's opposition parties had requested the elections be held before President Joseph Kabila's term ends in December.

Mulunda said provisional results would be known by Dec. 6.

The announcement of the electoral calendar had been delayed repeatedly leading to fears that all or part of the elections would be postponed.

The vast central African country faces major challenges to organise the elections, with parliament yet to agree on an electoral law and voter registration only complete in 2 of 11 provinces.

(Reporting by Jonny Hogg)

Copyright © 2011 Reuters

Full Feed Generated by Get Full RSS, sponsored by USA Best Price.

TIMELINE - Recent major plots and arrests in Germany

Posted: 30 Apr 2011 06:25 AM PDT

REUTERS - Three suspected al Qaeda members were planning a bomb attack in Germany when they were arrested by police, federal prosecutors said on Saturday.

Here is a timeline of plots in Europe linked to German-based Islamist militant groups:

Police escort a suspected member of al Qaeda as they arrive at the federal supreme court in Karlsruhe April 30, 2011. (REUTERS/Alex Domanski)

June 2005 - An appeals court upholds acquittal of Moroccan Abdelghani Mzoudi, accused of complicity in Sept. 11 attacks and belonging to a terrorist group. He was expelled.

Oct. 2005 - Four Arab men found guilty of planning to bomb Jewish targets in Germany on orders of militant leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi receive sentences of between five and eight years. They had planned attacks on two Jewish-owned Duesseldorf discos and a Berlin community centre.

Jan. 2007 - Germany's highest court rejects appeal by Moroccan Mounir El Motassadeq, friend of Sept. 11 hijackers, who was sentenced to 15 years in prison in November 2006 for being an accessory to mass murder.

Dec. 2008 - Court in Duesseldorf convicts Youssef al-Haj Deeb, a Lebanese, of attempted murder of an undefined number of people. Prosecutors said the planned attacks in western Germany could have caused up to 75 casualties. Haj Deeb and his accomplice Jihad Hamad boarded two trains in Cologne, one headed for Koblenz, one for Dortmund, in July 2006 with suitcases containing propane gas containers and crude detonators.

March 2010 - Duesseldorf court convicts four militants who admitted planning "a monstrous bloodbath" with car bomb attacks on U.S. targets in Germany. They were known as the "Sauerland group" after the area of western Germany where they were caught.

Aug 2010 - German police shut Taiba mosque, previously known as Al-Quds Mosque. The mosque was once frequented by Mohammed Atta, the leader of the group that carried out Sept. 11 attacks.

Sept 2010 - A German Islamist held by U.S. troops in Afghanistan and interrogated since July reveals details of planned attacks on targets in Europe, intelligence sources say.

On Sept 4 German news weekly Der Spiegel identifies the man as German-Afghan "Ahmed S.", of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan (IMU), a Central Asian militant group, who had worked on recruiting new members in Germany.

He was subsequently identified as Ahmed Sidiqi, a German of Afghan origin among a group of 10 or 11 militants who left Hamburg for armed training in northwest Pakistan in March 2009.

Oct. 14, 2010 - The United States warns its citizens of a potential for terrorist attacks in Europe. Western security sources say the alert stems from information from a captured German Islamist about a possible al Qaeda-related plot.

2011

March 2 - Lone gunman enraged over the war in Afghanistan shoots dead two U.S. airmen and wounds two others at Frankfurt airport. A prosecutor says he probably acted alone.

March 31 - German police say they detained a 25-year-old man suspected of planning a bomb attack outside a soccer stadium in the western city of Dortmund. The Federal Crime Office (BKA) said it found and defused three suspected explosive devices near the stadium used by Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund.

April 29 - Police arrested three people in Germany suspected of being members of al Qaeda, federal prosecutors say.

(Writing by David Cutler and William Maclean, London Editorial Reference Unit)

Copyright © 2011 Reuters

Full Feed Generated by Get Full RSS, sponsored by USA Best Price.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Komen