Isnin, 14 Mac 2011

The Star Online: World Updates

The Star Online: World Updates


FACTBOX - Toll of dead, missing from Japan's massive quake, tsunami

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 06:46 AM PDT

REUTERS - The death toll is expected to exceed 10,000 from a massive earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan on Friday, as rescue workers continue to search the ravaged northeastern coastal cities for survivors.

The quake and tsunami killed people in more than a dozen of Japan's 47 prefectures.

A woman cries while sitting on a road amid the destroyed city of Natori, Miyagi Prefecture in northern Japan March 13, 2011. (REUTERS/Asahi Shimbun)

Following is a toll of the dead or missing, according to Japanese media.

MIYAGI PREFECTURE, northeastern Japan

-- At least 785 people confirmed dead in cities such as Kesennuma, Higashimatsubara and Sendai, but local authorities fear more than 10,000 people may have died in the prefecture alone.

* A total of around 2,000 bodies found on several shores, including 1,000 in the town of Minamisanriku.

-- Minamisanriku has a population of 17,000, but 10,000 are missing after the tsunami.

* There have been reports that 200-300 bodies have been found in Wakabayashi district of Sendai, and around 50 bodies have been collected from the area.

IWATE PREFECTURE, northeastern Japan

-- At least 574 people confirmed dead, including those in Ofunato and Rikuzentakata cities.

-- The city of Rikuzentakata, with a population of 23,000 people, was "almost completely wiped out", the fire department says. No information yet on how many survived. More than 80 percent of the city was flooded.

-- In the town of Otsuchi, out of a population of 15,000 people, 12,000 people are missing.

FUKUSHIMA PREFECTURE, northeastern Japan

-- About 420 people, including those in Iwaki and Minamisoma cities, are confirmed dead. Around 1,200 people are missing.

DEATH TOLL IN OTHER DISTRICTS

Tokyo -- 7

Chiba -- 15

Ibaraki -- 19

Aomori -- 3

Tochigi -- 4

Kanagawa -- 3

Hokkaido -- 1

Yamagata -- 1

Gunma -- 1

(Compiled by World Desk Asia)

Copyright © 2011 Reuters

Full Feed Generated by Get Full RSS, sponsored by USA Best Price.

UK police charge man linked to Stockholm bombing

Posted: 14 Mar 2011 06:46 AM PDT

LONDON (Reuters) - A foreigner arrested last week in Glasgow in connection with a failed Stockholm suicide bombing in December has been charged with terrorism offences, Scottish police said on Monday.

"Strathclyde Police can confirm that a 30-year-old man has been charged with offences under the Terrorism Act 2000," it said in a statement giving no further details. Last week police alleged that he aided "terrorist activity" outside Scotland.

A firefighter attempts to put out a fire on a burning car in Stockholm, in this still image taken from video footage December 11, 2010. A foreigner arrested last week in Glasgow in connection with a failed Stockholm suicide bombing has been charged with terrorism offences, Scottish police said on Monday. (REUTERS/Reuters TV/Files)

Taymour Abdulwahab, a Swedish national of Middle Eastern descent, was killed in an attempted attack on downtown Stockholm after a bomb belt he was wearing went off prematurely.

Swedish officials believe he was preparing to attack a train station or department store at the height of the Christmas shopping season.

In January, the director of Iraq's anti-terrorism unit said Abdulwahab, who lived in Sweden in the 1990s, had received explosives training in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul.

Abdulwahab studied at a university in Luton, north of London, where he was believed to have become radicalised.

The Stockholm bombing was the latest in a string of attacks dating back to the 1990s by young Islamists educated in Britain, prompting critics to say London has failed to do enough to tackle militancy.

(Reporting by Stefano Ambrogi; Editing by Keith Weir)

Copyright © 2011 Reuters

Full Feed Generated by Get Full RSS, sponsored by USA Best Price.

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Komen